Tuesday 2 December 2014

Double vision

Two nice new byrophytes - Bryum radiculosum and Riccia sorocarpa. Both of them were new to me on Sunday and both new to Carlingnose Point on Monday!

Having been first introduced to the Riccia by LK beside the path on Sunday in Peeblesshire I was aware of the existence of this liverwort and its likely location, but it was the Bryum that made it happen. DL showed us it on Sunday and so I knew it was both under-recorded and mortar-loving. I had in my mind a location with lots of old mortar which I headed for on Monday lunchtime with immediate success. It took me no more than a minute to find what I was looking for. This is the benefit of spending time in the field with people who know what they're doing! Neither species had been recorded in NT18 before (according to NBN - let's see what the atlas says). Close inspection of both specimens revealed only somewhat disappointing tubers. they were there, but smallish and not very interesting. 80um was the biggest I could find (which was from the Fife sample). You can see a couple clinging to the stem of the Peeblesshire specimen below. Maybe I need to dig a bit deeper and wash carefully.

"Radiculose": producing many rootlets

Peebles:


Fife:


and the current NBN map for the Bryum ...


(details from VC85, or close enough:
Easter Muirhead, NS99, 1978 - DL
Glenfarg, NO11, 1977 - DL
N. of Kinghorn,NT2787, 01/04/2011 - LK/DC)

No comments:

Post a Comment